( 1398094 )

Doors are one of the most important parts of the home. It provides many functional aspects, one of which is tight security. However, doors can get damaged over time, and this can cause a variety of issues not limited to security, but also draught entering your home. In such cases, you might find yourself wanting to call someone to fix your door. However, you are not completely sure who to call. What do you call someone who fixes doors? 

Who can fix the cracks or holes in my door?

Cracks or holes often occur in wooden doors. This is frequently encountered with exterior doors, as they are constantly exposed to changing weather, and the heat and cold stretch and contract the wood panels. For this case, a joiner may be the most helpful. Joiners are skilled in constructing wooden components of a structure such as doors, window frames, etc. They work mostly off-site and prepare the product beforehand. They are also skilled in the ornamental parts of the door, so they may be helpful in that area as well.

You might also be interested in: How much does it cost to fix a door?

Who can fix the loose fittings of my door frame?

Overuse or misuse can loosen the fit of your door to its frame or the frame to the wall. In this case, a carpenter is the best term to call someone to fix it. Carpenters work on-site and are experts in how a structure fits together with its parts. They can assess the problems with the frame and find a method to fix it.

Who can fix the glass components of my door?

Doors can have glass fittings not only for its aesthetics but also because it can bring natural light into your home. However, glass is fragile and may break easily when mishandled. In this case, you may call a glazier. A glazier is expert in the glass fittings in doors and windows and may be able to help you out in this situation.

Who can assess and fix the overall condition of my door?

Doors can have multiple issues simultaneously, especially when it has been used for a long time. If you think one speciality may not be the perfect fit for the repair you want, your best bet would be to call a restoration specialist. Restorers are equipped with knowledge on all the aspects of the door or the object they restore, and this can help you have a holistic assessment before actually repairing.

We at Fortis & Hooke are known for our restoration services, especially for structures such as doors and windows on period properties. We believe in retaining your home’s heritage through our patented Longaevitas technique which focuses on restoring your door to ensure it lasts for a longer time while maintaining its iconic features. 

If you want to look for the best courses of action to maintain your door, then contacting restorers may be your best option.

More about Fortis & Hooke: About Fortis & Hooke

Pieter Boyce - Wooden Window and door specialist

Pieter Boyce
Wooden Window and Door Specialist

This article was written on behalf of Fortis & Hooke by Pieter Boyce. Pieter has an intense passion for English Architectural history and has been specialising in the conservation of original wooden windows and doors for decades. His exceptional knowledge of timber windows and doors, both listed or non-listed, is attributed to his hands-on approach to learning all aspects of the complete restoration of original features as well as having personally surveyed thousands of items throughout his long tenure as a head surveyor for one of the largest window and door restoration companies in the UK. He now runs a boutique wooden window and door consultancy and fervently champions the retention of original windows and doors. To learn more of Pieter’s services, visit his website at www.boultonboyce.co.uk.

Free telephonic consultation Free estimate Paid professional survey